With four different cheeses you can’t go wrong with this lasagna recipe. It is flavorful, meaty and most of all super cheesy. A family friendly lasagna recipe that everyone will love!
Last week, July 29th, was National Lasagna Day and it had me thinking about my favorite way to make lasagna. Lasagna was one of the first things I ever learned to cook. I remember my mom teaching me how to make it for Christmas one year. Odd Christmas dinner maybe, but I was moving away to Denver the next day and wanted to learn before I left. She would always make it with my favorite side dish Roasted Parmesan Asparagus. Yummy, just in case there wasn’t enough cheese already. Ha.
My grandma used to make lasagna a different way than my mom did. Since I loved both of their recipes so much I morphed them together and made my own! You can add shredded carrot or zucchini to add in veggies. I like to add black olives and I’ve even added jalapeños for a kick once and loved it!
My next challenge is to try it with homemade noodles! Who has a great noodle recipe for me to try out? Let me know in the comments below!
Cheesy Lasagna Recipe
1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb Hot sausage (I like the flavor it gives, but of course you can use Italian sausage)
1/2 c shredded mozzarella
1 container of ricotta cheese
1/2 triple cheddar shredded cheese
1/4 c parmesan cheese (plus a little extra to sprinkle on top)
oven ready lasagna noodles (or homemade!)
2 jars of your favorite pasta sauce
2 Tbs milk
1/2 tsp garlic salt
- cook the ground beef and sausage together in a pan. The flavors from the sausage is enough to season all the meat you don’t need to add anymore.
- mix the ricotta, garlic salt, parmesan cheese, and milk together in a bowl
- in a large glass baking dish start to assemble the lasagna. Always start with a thin layer of sauce on the bottom to prevent sticking. Then layer noodles, ricotta mix, meat then sauce. Repeat until all the meat and ricotta is mixed. (usually about three layers, check out the video above for a visual!)
- on the final layer add the shredded cheese to the top, then sprinkle with a handful of parmesan.
- cover with foil and bake at 350° F for an hour. For the last 10 minutes remove the foil.
- Let set for ten minutes, then enjoy!