Spinach pie is a great dish to serve at Christmas dinner but have you tried Greek spinach pie? Also known as spanakopita, this is one of my absolute favorite Greek dishes! It has a hint of mint and just the right amount of filo dough. These dish can be served at fancy dinners or even backyard bbqs! Serve it up with some rice pilaf and pork stifatho and you have yourself the perfect meal!
If you want the quicker, easier version of this recipe then just buy some decent filo dough from the store. But if you have some extra time, try making your own filo dough! It is totally worth it. Trust me!
1 box Filo Dough
2 bunches of chopped green onions
2 handfuls of finely chopped fresh mint
1 pound cleaned baby spinach
1 pound ricotta cheese
3/4 pound feta cheese
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- Get a Pyrex pan and lay one layer of filo dough and then using a food basting brush, cover the layer of filo dough with olive oil. Then lay another layer of filo dough and brush that one with olive oil. Repeat for 8 layers.
- In a bowl mix together eggs, onions, mint, spinach, ricotta cheese, feta cheese, salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Put half of the mixture in the bowl onto the layered filo dough, spread evenly across pan.
- Repeat step one on top of mixture
- Start a second pyrex, repeat all instructions.
- Cut before cooking into 3 X 3 inch squares.
- Bake in oven at 350 for 55 minutes
- Serve and enjoy!